[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 105, Issue 25

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jul 8 19:09:39 CEST 2020

On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 12:07:20 PDT Roland Hughes wrote:
> > You know, it's sometimes amusing to listen to your rants and anecdotes
> > (and sometimes not), but I'd really wish you would spend a bit more time
> > on actually verifying stuff before posting it. Some people might actually
> > believe you.
> I wish people would spend a bit more time verifying things too.
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/Desktop_Linux/jHTj-clXms8C?hl=en&gbpv=1
> &dq=k+desktop+history&pg=PA183&printsec=frontcover
>
> Page 183 of above book.

The book is wrong.

You do realise that Kai and I worked directly with Matthias Ettrich for many
years and we asked him directly about this? The founder of KDAB (whose
initials are KD) was also there and says the same story. The KDE
representative to the KDE Free Qt Foundation was also there and he says he's
the one who tried to retroactively call it "Kool" but it didn't stick.

That's the opposite of Linux, where the original author had a different name
for his project when he first uploaded it and it didn't stick.