[Interest] rebooted QtWebKit for Qt4??

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 11:15:59 CEST 2020

Hi,

Call me stupid or whatever you like, but I am hanging on to a few Qt4 applications that never got a satisfactory (to me) Qt5 successor, and which use QtWebKit to render HTML documents.

It's happening more and more often that I come across such documents that don't render properly in QtWebKit 4.8.7 so naturally I've begun to wonder how (un)feasible it would be to port a more recent QtWebKit version back to Qt4 (minus the QML shebang, probably) and if any efforts in this direction have been made in the community.

I have no idea how big the public QtWebKit API really is, but a more interesting/exciting/cool solution might be to replace Qt4WebKit with smallish glue library that somehow uses a Qt5-based render process. I notice that the rebooted QtWebKit can work with an external render process, so I presume that it should be possible technically to interface with that from Qt4.

Dreaming on... :)

R.