[Interest] rebooted QtWebKit for Qt4??

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Thu Jul 9 13:21:53 CEST 2020

09.07.2020, 12:18, "René J.V. Bertin" <rjvbertin at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Call me stupid or whatever you like

That would probably be against CoC ;)

> but I am hanging on to a few Qt4 applications that never got a satisfactory (to me) Qt5 successor, and which use QtWebKit to render HTML documents.
>
> It's happening more and more often that I come across such documents that don't render properly in QtWebKit 4.8.7 so naturally I've begun to wonder how (un)feasible it would be to port a more recent QtWebKit version back to Qt4 (minus the QML shebang, probably) and if any efforts in this direction have been made in the community.

I don't know how complex is said application, but almost certainly it would be easier to port it to Qt5 instead (and more useful to community, as Qt4 had reached EOL many years ago)

> I have no idea how big the public QtWebKit API really is, but a more interesting/exciting/cool solution might be to replace Qt4WebKit with smallish glue library that somehow uses a Qt5-based render process. I notice that the rebooted QtWebKit can work with an external render process, so I presume that it should be possible technically to interface with that from Qt4.

This solution is not viable because
1) multiprocess mode uses very different API which just cannot provide a drop-in replacement for QWebView and friends (it's not possible to reach QWebElement objects from UI process, many operations have to become asynchronous, and so on)
2) using Qt4 in UI process and Qt5 in render process is not feasible as they share a lot of code

> Dreaming on... :)
>
> R.

Regards,
Konstantin