[Interest] rebooted QtWebKit for Qt4??

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 23:13:34 CEST 2020

On Thursday July 09 2020 22:30:56 Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

>If such glue library is not a part of QtWebKit, it would have to deal with having Qt4 and Qt5 in the same process. That would be no easier than wrapping any other unmodified Qt5 module for use in Qt4 application.

I don't see why. It would have to recreate the client code which starts and communicates with the webkit process(es) in Qt4 but once that's done the Qt version conflict should be across process boundaries and thus a non-issue. Am I overlooking something?

>Otter Browser doesn't use multiprocess mode, as it operates via QWebView API. Changing it to use multiprocess API requires writing a lot of new code (and also improvements on QtWebKit side to provide feature parity)

Oh? I thought it did because its UI doesn't freeze (like it does in Arora) AND I'm pretty certain I've seen the WebKit process appear in `top` when loading (certain?) sites in Otter Browser.

The multiprocess mode is transparent in QtWebEngine, isn't it? Why is that not the case in QtWebKit?

And as a side-note: I just saw that even Maxthon is apparently giving up on WebKit for their next major release. Shame, because it definitely the only browser with which stupid sites like FB are bearable on my little hybrid tablet Win10 PC.

R.