[Interest] rebooted QtWebKit for Qt4??

Ulf Hermann ulf.hermann at qt.io
Mon Jul 13 08:44:03 CEST 2020

> It is sad to see people miss the necessity for hardware accelerated UI
> that QML addresses; Qt widgets backing onto QPainter was extremely
> problematic to accelerate and the Qt company addressed this with
> scenegraph/QML.

It's actually QtQuick that implements the scene grah and provides
accelerated rendering of user interfaces. If you're willing to use
private headers and deal with some inconvenience, you can use much of
QtQuick from C++, without any QML (I don't recommend it, though).

QML is a general purpose language for composing object hierarchies. It's
well suited for composing user interfaces, as they generally follow a
pattern that maps well to the language's purpose. However, you can also
use the QML language for other applications.

> Feel free to hate on QML, just be aware you appear to be missing the
> driving impetus behind it which was not fashion but necessity.

Feel free to hate on anything, but maybe first figure out what the thing
you are hating actually _is_ ...

... it seems to be a common problem these days.

best,
Ulf