[Interest] What is this list all about anyway?

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Thu Jul 16 19:56:56 CEST 2020

> Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 6:29 AM
> From: "Sérgio Martins" <iamsergio at gmail.com>
> To: "Julien Cugnière" <julien.cugniere at gmail.com>
> Cc: "interestqt-project.org" <interest at qt-project.org>
> Subject: Re: [Interest] What is this list all about anyway?
>
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 9:05 AM Julien Cugnière
> <julien.cugniere at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Le jeu. 16 juil. 2020 à 08:08, Nuno Santos <nuno.santos at imaginando.pt> a écrit :
> > > I believe that this individual brings nothing but noise to this table and should be removed from the list. How many people here think the same?
> > >
> > > If the community doesn’t want to be politically incorrect then I’ll do myself and a favour and leave the list myself.
> >
> > You're not alone, but he has a right to his opinions, and people have
> > a right to reply to him if they want to.
>
> He has the right to an opinion, but not to hijack every thread to talk
> about QML/CopperSpice, specially threads which weren't about QML in
> the first place.
>
> For someone claiming to be in this industry since 40+ years it's time
> to learn a bit about netiquette and how mailing lists work.

Perhaps what we need is an [Offtopic] list?
A community united by their love/use/hatred of Qt, but not functionally relevant to the purpose of the interest mailing list. I regard the interest list as strictly about Qt, specific questions, concerns, etc. It seems that Roland is only tangentially talking about Qt and using the interest list more as a soapbox. I would suggest that content would be appropriate for [Offtopic] but not for [Interest]. And rather than kick Roland out, just suggest he use offtopic for the historical/opinionated content.

Additionally, I don't know where, who or how anyone was entitled to decide to change the list to be moderated. That seems it should be a community decision. There was no consideration given to the proposal I just made because there was no discussion.

While Roland's comments are not the normal kind for this list, we don't really have a good description of what this list is for. The mailman page says "List for developers who _use_ Qt" Obviously, Roland meets that description. If we want to tighten down the content of this list, then it needs to be done _with_notice_ and community agreement.