[Interest] wss:// on localhost

Alexander CarĂ´t alexander_carot at gmx.net
Sun Jul 19 18:50:03 CEST 2020

Hello all,

after having fixed my QWebsocketServer issue I ran into another problem:

Beside my properly working SSL websocket I have another websocket which serves as the technical interface between my website and a Qt application required for the service.

This websocket used to work insecure (ws://) and now I am as well trying to run it in secure mode (ws://), however, I wonder if also in this case I need an extra certificate. Furthermore, I wonder if afer deployment this implies that users would also need a dedicated certificate (which would be be acceptable in terms of usability).

Alternatively I could run the application websocket insecure (ws://) but it semms that some web browsers dislike the mixture of ws:// and wss:// for some reason although the main site is run via https:// and ws:// the downgrade should not be a problem.

Can anyone tell if

a) there is way to get rid of certificates on localhost despite using wss://
b) there is a reliable way of having ws:// and wss:// at the same time

Thanks a lot in advance,
best

Alex

--