[Interest] wss:// on localhost

Alexander Carôt alexander_carot at gmx.net
Mon Jul 20 10:57:31 CEST 2020

> > a) there is way to get rid of certificates on localhost despite using wss://
>
> Yes, but then it's no better security than ws://. So either use insecure or
> use a certificate.

I see, however, I really don't care about security at this point because this is a localhost connection anyways. It's just that because of the other wss-based websocket it would be ideal to run the localhost websocket with wss as well. So - in front of that background it would be the ideal solution in combination with non-existing certificates. It would be great if you'd send me a pointer how to approach this.

> What you can do is generate a certificate every couple of months, in each
> machine that uses your application. Make the client use that certificate as
> the only entry in the CA list, so it will accept the certificate from the
> server without prompting a warning.

The problem is that my application currently has a daily pageview of > 1000 and a user base of more than 10.000 - most of the user are non-tech-sage so I need the most simply solution.

Thanks and best

Alex

--
http://www.carot.de