[Interest] wss:// on localhost

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Mon Jul 20 18:00:31 CEST 2020

I could never get wss: working on the mobile platforms, despite being able to get https working.

a) you need these for SSL to work. You could generate them and set peer verify to off,  but I don't know how to do it without a certificate.

b) You can't (generally speaking) do ws and wss at the same time. It follows http/https semantics, as it starts as HTTP and negotiates the protocol change to WebSocket. The encruption happens even before that - it is already assumed to be encrypted or not, though it is possible to have a plaintext http socket upgrade to a https socket (mixed mode), but no one does that. Instead the protocol/port combo gives the client the information on how to start talking to the server in the right way. I will speculate that this is done rather than have a mixed-mode socket so if you come in with the intent of being encrypted and are not, that is considered a hard fail.  Same applies for unencrypted. Mixed mode only gives you additional ambiguity, potential leakage of data intended to be secure but isn't. So there isn't a large reason to support both on the same socket, and ports to bind to are not in short supply.