[Interest] Windows 7 support will be dropped in Qt 6

Max Paperno max-l at wdg.us
Sat Jun 13 03:28:50 CEST 2020

I would restate my objection by pointing out again [1] that Win 7 is
still the 2nd most popular desktop OS in the world, with 3x more users
than all MacOS versions combined.  Never mind Linux, which is on par
with Win XP users (the previous "known good" Windows version prior to 7).

Any software publisher not catering exclusively to the "cool kids" with
the "latest and greatest" mentality would be shooting themselves in the
foot by dropping Win 7 support at this point.  That's millions of
potential users.  Depending on one's market, of course.

I would bet Qt could save a lot more resources by dropping MacOS/Linux
support entirely.  Not saying that's a good idea, but dropping the 2nd
most popular OS instead doesn't make any sense to me either.

Yes, anyone needing to support Win 7 can still use Qt 5, which is what's
going to happen for several more years at least. I though one of the
goals for Qt 6 was quicker adaptation than the Qt 4 -> 5 migration.
 From this move, and everything I've seen discussed on the devs list
lately, I just don't see that happening. Seems like one breaking change
after another (even if each individual one is relatively minor, they add
up quickly).

There was plenty of negative feedback left on QTBUG-74687, but it was
all either ignored or dismissed. Why bother even asking people's opinion
if the decision had already been made?

Lastly, please everyone get off their high horse about how you're
leading reluctant (or "clueless") users to a better and more secure
future by "encouraging" them to "upgrade" to Win 10. There are numerous
reasons NOT to switch to Win 10, especially if one actually understands
how to properly handle computer security, is concerned with privacy
issues, and/or just wants to get some work done instead of constantly
installing forced OS updates. NVM just the hassle itself of screwing
with a working system. Also I don't know what "latest features" people
are talking about (from a user perspective) -- I'm definitely a computer
"power user" and I can't actually name one Win 10 feature which I can't
do in Win 7 (touch-centric UI being an exception in some cases, which is
only useful for tablets and mostly just gets in the way on a desktop).
And anyone suggesting Win 8 has clearly just never actually tried it.

-Max

[1]:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-74687?focusedCommentId=498172#comment-498172