[Interest] [Development] Windows 7 support will be dropped in Qt 6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jun 19 17:54:25 CEST 2020

On Friday, 19 June 2020 04:49:34 PDT Roland Hughes wrote:
> Considering they ported many existing apps to Qt at the very beginning,
> the set of things abandoned would be everything.
>
> Interesting how history gets rewritten though.

You do realise I was there, right? My first version of KDE was 1.0 beta 3 and
I started contributing to KDE in 2000 in the lead up to KDE 2.0. One of the
emails I still use today is @kde.org. I am a member of the KDE e.V. (though
passive, due to never being able to travel to the general assemblies).

No application was ported to Qt. All of them were written from scratch. If you
meant that older applications were being replaced with new ones with Qt, then
sure. Most of them were either Xaw (Athena Widgets), pure X11 or Motif, though
Motif ones weren't Open Source.

> Back when I had to buy SuSE in a box of floppies from an importer they
> published a different story about "K". I remember it well.

You're not the only one who used floppies. I did too, but my first
distribution (Slackware 3.2) lacked a K series because it was just too new at
the time.