[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 105, Issue 15

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Sat Jun 13 17:26:22 CEST 2020

On 6/13/20 5:00 AM, interest-request at qt-project.org wrote:
>> Real business needs a 15-30 year LTS, not 5.
> How do you define "real business"? How about by revenue or market
> capitalisation? The biggest companies on the planet (Apple, Amazon, Microsoft)
> don't support your assertion. The top one (Apple) gives 2 years of support.
>
> Their success validates their business model.

A real business is one that make something or provides a service humans,
at least a large population of them need. Unless something changed
during the Mortgage Fraud Crisis during the Bush/Obama transition, (and
it could have), automobile manufacturers are required to make parts for
any vehicle sold in America for 20 years. This is one of the reasons the
average age of a vehicle on the roads of America is just over 11 years old.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/06/28/average-vehicle-age-ihs-markit/1593764001/

Apple is a cult, not really a business model. There is no product they
produce a human really needs. They inspire want in the cult and that
translates into exorbitantly priced products and massive profits.

Another good example is drug manufacturing, especially the large use
drugs. Metformin is the most commonly prescribed initial oral diabetes
treatment after diet and exercise failed to control Type-2 diabetes.
There are only a few ways manufacturers of generic Metformin can control
the cost of the drug.

Don't pay suppliers.

Don't pay workers.

Amortize off the cost of the production line and certification.

Manufacture in a third world country that doesn't have an EPA or FDA
getting certified with a few early batches then changing the
manufacturing process without informing the FDA or getting re-certified.

Far too many chose the last option which is why we now have a flood of
generic Metformin containing NDMA.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/fda-investigates-if-cancer-causing-chemical-is-in-metformin

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/fda-finds-contamination-brands-diabetes-drug-70955739

My earlier post about the FDA regulated company in California still
running a physical PDP 11 is an example of a manufacturer of some
medical product taking option 3.

My definition of a "real business" is one that is focused on providing
services and products people actually need. While one can live in a
COVID-19 stricken mega-city and get by without an automobile, the rest
of the population needs to get around. I will wager the bulk of the
companies making Penicillin today are using tech and processes that date
at least as far back as that PDP 11. "Upgrading" isn't free for this
world. When you change something, to do it legally, you need to get
re-certified. A "free" OS update can cost you tens of thousands to
millions of dollars going through the certification process.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com