[Interest] [Development] Windows 7 support will be dropped in Qt 6

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Mon Jun 15 13:27:15 CEST 2020

On 6/15/20 5:00 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> GCC didn't achieve a good C++17 support until GCC 7 (released in May 2017).
> CentOS 5 reached EOL in March 2017. So there's no official devtoolset
> containing GCC 7.

It wasn't until gcc 8 that they got "full" C++17 support at least as I
read a while back.

There is always the old fashioned way.

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC

I will admit I didn't pay incredibly close attention as to whether Scott
was still supporting CentOS 5 or had finally gotten off it and up to
CentOS 6. Someone else most likely faced this problem and did the port
or wrote a blog post with good instructions about everything you need to
do to build from scratch.

My God, someone ported GCC 7 to OS/2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5skkve3nnlj2o0/gcc-7.1.0-os2-20170507.zip?dl=0

Unless the compiler physically needs something the OS cannot provide,
where there is a will there is a way.

I've always found, when it came to distros not wanting to port something
that they suddenly "want" when you throw money at them. I remember there
was a number of around a million tossed around for these tools/products.
That's a different universe than Joe Palluka and his freeware. The
"maintainer" of devtools may have "no time or interest" in building a
semi or fully official devtools 8 for CentOS 5. I guarantee if you offer
$20-$30K for the task, one of them will have a "free weekend" suddenly
come up.

At any rate, those of us in the medical device/embedded systems world
have to make some hard decisions very soon because of the relentless
pursuit of iDiot phones by the Qt project and the continual dropping of
the platforms we are using. Not just the platform dropping, the sweeping
API changes so you can't take a new Qt developer and have even the
faintest hope of them being able to work with the old stuff. If all they
know is QML and JavaScript, in this realm, they can't even be called Qt
developers. Sorry, but that is reality. This particular world uses
native binary.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions