[Interest] [Development] Windows 7 support will be dropped in Qt 6

Massimiliano Maini maxmaini at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 16:22:49 CEST 2020

 I have no real opinion on dropping or not the support for Win7, but I
don't get how the specific needs of some
industries (having people that can work on legacy/non-modern platforms
and/or languages) are related to the
rant against the fact Qt6 could drop Win7 support.

What are some asking ? For Qt6 not to evolve too much so that it
doesn't become too different from Qt3 ?!
We all stick to command prompts even for tasks that are better tackled with
a gui, because if we go gui then
some people won't like command prompt any more ?

I've worked in sectors where the platforms and tools lag behind the
bleeding edge by years when not decades.
These industries just have to pay enough to convince the ones that can
learn (or that already know) how to work
on their outdated platforms. It has always been like this, nothing new.

If you keep some VCR tapes with your wedding and your 20 years old VCR
breaks down, you're going to have
to pay silly money to get it repaired and, when not possible, even more to
get it rebuilt.
Up to you to decide if you want to pay when the VCR dies or if you want to
pay to move your videos to
something more recent before it dies.

But some seem to be asking everybody to not move to more recent stuff so
that they can still live with their VCR.
I'm not sure I agree on the principle.

Max.