[Interest] Qt Creator licensing for companies with Qt Commercial developers

alexander golks alex at golks.de
Fri Mar 27 17:21:14 CET 2020

Am Fri, 27 Mar 2020 17:11:16 +0100
schrieb Jean-Michaƫl Celerier <jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com>:

> It is also the license of the binaries that you can download there :
> https://download.qt.io/official_releases/qtcreator/4.11/4.11.1/
>
> And it states quite succintly :
> "This License explicitly affirms your unlimited permission to run the
> unmodified Program."
>
> > but if you just use qtcreator, just use it. its free.
>
> well, that is not what
> "
> Anyways, I'll now explain again the answer to the original question asked.
> The question was, as I understood it, "Is it allowed that people working in
> a project use commercially licensed Qt and some other persons in the same
> project who do not develop Qt use open-source licensed Qt tools?"
>
> Answer to this is: No, it is not allowed to mix commercial "Licensed
> Software" and the open-source versions provided by The Qt Company in the
> same project."
>
> seems to mean, which is why I'm wondering.

the problem is, as already stated, that some did not answer your question properly.
i understood your question. and as i said, your mixing up things. as we say: you mix apples and pears.

you're talking about using an executable X, based on open source software.
you're talking about using an library Y, for which you have a license, based on open source software, too.
you're talking about using exec X to use Y somehow.
you're talking about using exec X with other libraries.

now what has tool X todo with library Y? nothing.
well, it happen to be that tool X is written using library Y, but thats of no concern here.

the licese for Y only clearifies how you may use/include the library Y into your projects,
and not how to use tool X to build apps using library Y.

other words:
would you ask if you have to use the commercial vs license because you bought a qt license?

--
/*
 *printk(KERN_DEBUG "%s: Done reprogramming Xilinx, %d bits, good luck!\n",...);