[Interest] Qt Creator licensing for companies with Qt, Commercial developers

Francis Herne mail at flherne.uk
Tue Mar 31 20:16:06 CEST 2020

On Tuesday, 31 March 2020 18:02:15 BST Tuukka Turunen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologise, if I have been unclear with words 'company' and project'. If
> you read the license agreement and faq behind the links I have posted
> multiple times, it should be rather clear what is meant.

> Yours,
>
> 	Tuukka

Dear Tukka,

Frankly, I think you're arguing in bad faith here. It's patently obvious from
every response in this thread that the Qt Company's position is *not* clear to
anyone outside the company.

The FAQ doesn't address the project/company distinction at all, and linking
20,000 words of legalese in "answer" to a boolean question is just a refusal
to give a straight answer.

Having looked through said document, the relevant sections seem to be:

> 1. ... “Prohibited Combination” shall mean any means to (i) use, combine,
incorporate, link or integrate Licensed Software with any software created
with or incorporating Open Source Qt, (ii) use Licensed Software for creation
of any software created with or incorporating Open Source Qt, or (iii)
incorporate or integrate Applications into a hardware device or product other
than a Device. ...

Can't use licensed Qt Creator to develop open-source Qt apps; ok.

> 3.4 [viii]: Licensee shall not and shall cause that its Affiliates or
Contractors shall not use Licensed Software in any Prohibited Combination,
unless Licensee has received an advance written permission from The Qt Company
to do so.

Can't use licensed and GPL Qt in the same project; ok.

> Absent such written permission, any and all distribution by the Licensee
during the Term of a hardware device or product a) which incorporate or
integrate any part of Licensed Software or Open Source Qt; or b) where the
main user interface or substantial functionality is provided by software built
with Licensed Software or Open Source Qt or otherwise depends on the Licensed
Software or Open Source Qt, shall be considered to be Device distribution
under this Agreement and shall be dependent on Licensee’s compliance thereof
(including but not limited to obligation to pay applicable License Fees for
such distribution).

It's unclear here whether this should be read as "hardware (device or
product)" or "(hardware device) or product". Could you please clarify the
intent?

Taking the latter, more pessimistic reading there's no project/company
distinction; any entity licensing Qt can't distribute the GPL version in any
'product' which I believe would include open-source projects. Hard luck Thiago
et al!

> Notwithstanding what is provided above in this sub-section (viii), Licensee
is entitled to use and combine Qt 3D Studio and/or Qt Design Studio with Open
Source Qt (“Permitted Combination”) for its internal evaluation purposes,
provided that Licensee shall in no way transfer, publish, disclose, display or
otherwise make available any software or work resulting from such Permitted
Combination;

This exception doesn't cover Qt Creator, and would be in the opposite
direction to the original question anyway.

So the answer is "no".

In general, the only "clear" policy is that The Qt Company deliberately
obfuscates the conditions under which the GPL version can be used, to put
people off exercising the rights that do exist.

This goes along with the general downplaying of, and FUD about, the GPL option
on the website, and the bizarre retrospective licensing.

It's disrespectful to the outside contributors who've built so much of Qt and
its ecosystem in exchange for those rights, and doesn't bode well for the
future of Qt in the free software community.

Yours,
-Francis H