[Interest] Qt Creator licensing for companies with Qt Commercial developers

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 21:01:39 CEST 2020

Regarding 5.  :

>  Large company F is creating a product with Qt under commercial license.
Part of the work is subcontracted to Company G that uses Qt under
commercial license. Company G subcontracts some of the work further to
low-cost Company H, who uses Qt under open-source license. This is not
allowed.

Could you clarify these cases :
1/ Is "Qt under open-source license" limited to the downloads on qt.io, or
any software code related to Qt ?
1/ a. Does this also cover people doing apt-get install qtcreator on Debian
or brew install qtcreator on macOS
1/ b. Does this also cover forks of Qt ? say, company H builds a plug-in
using Copperspice for the software ordered by company F. Does company H
need to take a Qt license ?
1/ c. Does this also cover WebKit / Blink engines, which come from KHTML,
which was developed at some point in the past with open-source Qt and thus
every software using a derivative of WebKit on earth ? (electron, chrome,
microsoft edge, etc)... eg. if I, as company H, ship an electron app in the
context of the project of company F (say, the electron app is opened when a
button is pressed in the app developed by company F), do I also need to get
a Qt license ?

And, if the answer to c. is "no", how is that different from company H
"subcontracting" by developing a library with open-source Qt, putting it on
the Qt market place, and having company G download it and integrate it to
its project ?

Thanks for your answers so far,
Jean-Michaël