[Interest] Qt Creator licensing for companies with Qt Commercial developers

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Tue Mar 31 22:01:55 CEST 2020

31.03.2020, 22:57, "Bernhard Lindner" <private at bernhard-lindner.de>:
> Hi Tuukka!
>
>>  I have also tried to explain these, but your tone feels rather aggressive. I do not
>>  understand what makes you say: “Even a solo developer needs to hire a lawyer before
>>  touching anything Qt-related.”
>
> Because this is what users hear in MLs and forums, when they ask about Qt licensing
> issues. The recurring answer is: "don't know, don't understand, hire a lawer".
>
> And because this is written in your FAQ: "It is always recommended to contact a lawyer
> familiar with open source licenses for a full review of your project to determine whether
> you can fulfill all of the obligations of applicable open source licenses".

Actually, situation with commercial license turns out to be even more complicated than
with open source. Open source licensing is at least well-understood by lawyers and
doesn't affect what each department or employee in the company is doing, only what
end products are shipped.

--
Regards,
Konstantin