[Interest] QtPdf from Qt open source online installer

Benjamin TERRIER b.terrier at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 20:35:54 CEST 2020

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 at 18:19, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:

> > Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 11:54 AM
> > From: "Konstantin Tokarev" <annulen at yandex.ru>
> >
> > Isn't this done intentionally to promote commercial licenses among open
> source users?
>
> Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to human stupidity.
> -Hanlon's razor.
>
> For me, because there was confusion over this module's license, I
> attribute it to that.  Which also would be the same result as applying
> Occam's razor.

Well, now we know it was done on purpose:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-87746?focusedCommentId=532011&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-532011

Unfortunately, our marketplace backend does not support distributing
> different variants of the modules. If we had the open-source version
> available, then there would not be the Marketplace license -based version.
>
> The reason why Qt PDF is not available in the installer for open-source
> users is simply that we wanted to make difference between commercial and
> open-source installations. It was intentional, not a bug.

It seems The Qt Company is continuing to show love and appreciation toward
the open source users....