[Interest] QtPdf from Qt open source online installer

Andy asmaloney at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 20:56:22 CEST 2020

Yeah - it doesn't even make sense.

"The intention in the marketplace was to allow open-source users to use
GPL-licensed modules in LGPL-licensed Qt without GPL obligations."

But Qt PDF is LGPL, right?

"The reason why Qt PDF is not available in the installer for open-source
users is simply that we wanted to make difference between commercial and
open-source installations. It was intentional, not a bug."

Translation: Commercial users already get it, so the marketplace version
isn't for them. We couldn't force the devs to make it GPL for our benefit,
so we want open source users to pay for it even though it's LGPL.

More license games from The Qt Company. They really have no idea (or don't
care) how badly this stuff reflects on them or what damage it's been doing
to Qt

---
Andy Maloney  //  https://asmaloney.com
twitter ~ @asmaloney <https://twitter.com/asmaloney>