[Interest] Qt Designer zombie widget phenomenon

Bernhard Lindner private at bernhard-lindner.de
Sat Sep 5 23:43:41 CEST 2020

Hi!

Ok, that is kind of crazy and ridiculous. And maybe it is something stupid I am doing. But
I can't figure it out. It suddenly started many months ago after some Qt Creator update
and at the beginning I simply ignored it. But now it is driving me nuts.

This is what happens:
I open a window UI in Qt Creator Designer, I change something random like a text and I
save the changed design. Then I close the designer and build the application. After
starting the application, sometimes a new, completely random widget (e.g. a QComboBox)
appears somewhere embedded in a new random layout cell in my window. That widget is blank
and everything else in the window is unchanged. If this happens I can go back to the
designer and simply delete the additional "zombie widget". Then everything is back to
normal after building the application... until I edit a design and with a small chance
some other zombie widget pops up from nowhere. The zombie widget is not visible when
editing/saving/closing the design, only after reloading it from disk.

I could not find a system when or why this happens. I don't think it is an unwanted drag-
n-drop action.

I am using KDE Neon 18.04 and the most recent Qt Creator with Qt 5.14.2.

Has this happend to someone else before?

--
Best Regards,
Bernhard Lindner