[Interest] the path forward - that 7 year thing - was, , willy-nilly

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Thu Apr 1 17:44:18 CEST 2021

On 01/04/2021 16:13, Roland Hughes wrote:

>>> What you are describing is __exactly__ why companies buy commercial
>>> licenses and pay for support contracts. They pay to have their
>>> environment supported and not be told that they have to replace their
>>> environment.
>> The terms of the Qt support with a commercial entity (being it TQC or
>> anyone else) have nothing to do with the Qt project decisions.
>
> Yes, they do.
>
> Is QtC providing code to Qt project? Is it providing hosting and
> distribution services for the OpenSource code? Is it providing any other
> financial support?
>
> When the answer to any of these is yes, then what they need has a lot to
> do with your decisions. When they need to support a platform for 15+
> years and you rip it out after 6-7 _that_ is a real problem.

Does TQC provide hosting and other technological services for the Qt
project? Yes, they do (thanks TQC!).

Does TQC provide the majority of code in the Qt project, and employ the
biggest work force, therefore having a significant say in the Qt Project
decisions? Yes.

Does TQC also provide commercial support contracts? Yes.

(Is there a conflict of intents here because of the massive support to
the Qt Project? I can't see how -- if anything, one could say that the
commercial decisions may drive the decisions in the Qt Project,
certainly NOT that the Qt Project has the power to "sabotage" the
commercial decisions!)

But the terms of your commercial Qt support with TQC (or with anyone
else for that matter) don't change depending on the Qt Project
decisions. (And even if they did, then you've got nothing to complain
about -- you _signed_ for that.) If your contract with TQC says that you
have the right of getting 15+ years of support for some given Qt
versions on some given platforms, then you get those, or you go to
court. This has nothing to do with what the Qt Project decides to do in
the meanwhile, including dropping those platforms after 6-7 years.

>> And, by the way, we're describing scenarios where the environment*has*
>> changed: new hardware, new platforms, new toolchains. You're negating
>> the premise, and thus the argument is a fallacy.
>
> No, your argument is the fallacy (which is not unusual.)
>
> They replaced a *monitor* with another computer monitor that the
> platform obviously supported. That's it. The video card obviously
> supported 4K as did the video driver. If the *environment* maxed out at
> 1920xwhatever Scott wouldn't have been screwed. He and his company got
> screwed because the high DPI support with the Qt they have was not good.
> Between "good enough" and what they currently have his platform got dropped.
>
> The platform already supported all of this. The Qt code did not.

The combination of monitor+Qt is by definition part of the environment
(as far as the end-user application is concerned). Changing a monitor is
changing the environment. If the definition of "supported" is "I connect
it and it runs at 4K", then of course it's supported: you get the
_native_ 4K from your Qt application, and no hidpi scaling.

But wait, don't your practices tell you that you should've run a risk
analysis, filed in the holy 29 documents (all named with fancy acronyms,
I'm sure), get an independent certification and applied the new cover
sheet on your TPS reports (didn't you get the memo?) before approving
the purchase of a new monitor model on a life-critical workstation?

(In all seriousness, of course I'm unhappy as the next person about the
status of hidpi and Qt, and not too happy that one needs 5.15 for
getting the bugfixes, which in turn has higher platform requirements.
But this has nothing to do with someone having a commercial contract for
pre-5.15 and thus with the power to get their commercial partner to
backport those bugfixes or improvements.)

KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts