[Interest] the path forward

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Mon Apr 12 13:45:59 CEST 2021

On 4/2/21 5:00 AM, Stottlemyer, Brett (B.S.) wrote:
> Roland's view is extreme.  It may_sound_  reasonable, but if you look, you will find it isn't reasonable.  His definition of "stable" is being able to update the Qt version, but on a 15 year old piece of hardware that is using a 15 year old OS, and everything should build without any porting.

It's not extreme, it is reality for many production worlds. One of which
we now know is somehow impacting chip production at Intel. If your
desktop/laptop has an Intel Inside logo, this conversation is now
impacting you.

You're a bit off on "His definition."

Stable = able to upgrade Qt with minor coding changes and zero approved
platform changes.

When an OS is locked due to FDA regulation or custom device drivers, you
can't change the kernel. Install or upgrade a 3rd party graphics
library, possibly.

Given Thiago's and a few others involved in coding "the project"
comments to Scott, I think everybody forgot the purpose of a cross
platform application framework.

**Abstraction**

Everything underneath can change as long as the high level remains.

I think you have forgotten it as well Mr. Brett, which is why you think
my view is extreme. To be certain, it is much work for "the project" but
not extreme.

Having had some time to let all of this percolate in the back of my mind
I think I've determined the root of the problem.

A Naperville Divorce.

I've been a traveling consultant for over 30 years and it's one of the
few places where the phenomena is widespread. Couple gets married, buys
a house they can't afford, two cars they just __have__ to have, then max
out their credit cards. They decide to solve this problem by getting a
divorce. After the divorce they still live in the same house together.
Half the time they don't even have separate bedrooms because they needed
to keep the guest room open for company. Legally they are divorced and
now they have payments to a lawyer added to the mix.

That's pretty much what happened with XCB. https://xcb.freedesktop.org/

We were abstractly writing our applications, not caring at all who or
what "the project" was in bed with underneath all of it. Then "the
project" decided to get a divorce and return to everyone a daughter they
didn't know they had saying "she's all yours now."

They are still using XCB, they just aren't shipping a version of XCB
with Qt and maintaining it. Now people have to care. They didn't fully
divorce.

Judging from the presentations, CopperSpice is in the process of a
complete divorce.

https://youtu.be/MXz2t0gvRxI

According to the video above the CsPaint stuff they are working on which
will be rolled into CopperSpice uses Vulkan under the hood for 3D and
graphics.

https://www.khronos.org/vulkan/

What Vulkan is and is not capable of I do not know. It seems to have an
awful lot of industry buy in.

The point is, had the divorce from XCB been a real divorce, "the
project" could have moved to a different underlying graphics package.
There obviously is one on RHEL 6 that supports something close to 4K
which is why all of the other software on the system looked good and
Scott's Qt software looked like crap. (No offense meant Scott.)

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com