[Interest] Guide me through the Qt offerings for GUIs

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Thu Apr 22 11:58:20 CEST 2021

On 4/22/2021 3:47 AM, Bernhard Lindner wrote:
>> Judging from the influx in the CopperSpice world, a lot of companies with projects large
>> and small are biting the bullet.
> How did you come to this result? Are there any hard numbers, links, reports, etc. that you
> can share?

Hard? Don't know. They don't publish the number of support contracts
sold. I'm just seeing an up-tick in conversations like this one:

https://forum.copperspice.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1715

More and more commercial projects asking for porting assistance. Barb
and the others used to pop-in to the forum answering questions most
every day, now it is down to 1-2 days per week. The claim has been made
that they are too busy supporting paying customers. Maybe, maybe not.
Things aren't as complete and polished yet, so I'm leaning more towards
the maybe.

The CopperSpice and Python thread now has 6980 views.
The CopperSpice License Question thread started Dec 11, 2020 got quite a
few posts and 3846 views.

I honestly thought the FOX Toolkit died with Windows 2000. The
screenshots of applications on their site all have a very DECWindows
look and feel.

http://fox-toolkit.org

I haven't kicked the tires on it yet. I have noticed it got a lot more
interest last year when all of the licensing chatter happened here.

https://sourceforge.net/p/foxgui/mailman/foxgui-users/

I don't know how well their 3D stuff works. I do like the concept of
staying in the center lanes of C++. I'm somewhat curious if the claims
on their site are true that applications can build and run on Windows 9x
and the same source can build and run on current Linux. Especially if
one is using the graphics stuff. Just not enough time in the day to set
things up and test all that should be tested. At one place somewhere
they mentioned building with OpenWatcom but don't list it in other places.

The one thing that project definitely needs is a consistent location.
Stuff is scattered all over between SourceForge and several other sites.

--

Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

https://theminimumyouneedtoknow.com