[Interest] Guide me through the Qt offerings for GUIs

Frank Mertens frank at cyblogic.de
Fri Apr 23 06:15:12 CEST 2021

On 22.04.21 12:14, Roland Hughes wrote:

> On 4/22/2021 3:47 AM, Rui Oliveira wrote:
>> QML/Quick, for me, seems to need a lot of work for the desktop. Also, it
>> seems it's make for "flat", low density UIs. Yesterday I was presented
>> with this:https://ossia.io/  . Look how good it looks
>> (https://ossia.io/assets/score.png)! Holy damn, an that's widgets.
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffnt&q=connex+spot+monitor&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fimage.tigermedical.com%2FProducts%2FLargeImages%2FWEL71XX-B-.jpg
>
> That's all widgets baby. The CPU doesn't even have a GPU
>
> Download the user manual and check out the screen shots inside.
>
> https://www.hillrom.com/content/dam/hillrom-aem/us/en/sap-documents/LIT/80025/80025960LITPDF.pdf
>
> That thing is a work of art. I just wish they would have included a shot of the readings history table. Apple ain't ever put out anything that looked so cool and was 100% functional.
>
> QML can't hold a candle to it.
>
> Those bricks can be re-arranged and re-sized without any use of layouts.
>
> When you gotta bring the Uber Cool you gotta use widgets.

QtQuick runs actually pretty fine without GPU. Just select the software renderer:

   QQuickWindow::setSceneGraphBackend(QSGRendererInterface::Software);

All the latency and texture loading concerns actually go away when using software rendering.
For the embedded world just make sure you have a good low-latency memory block.
(I had good experiences with IMX6ULs...!-)

On the desktop I found the Universal style to work best with software rendering:

  QQuickStyle::setStyle("Universal");

The other 2 tricks you need to know: QQuickPaintedItem and QWidget::createWindowContainer().
The later you can for instance use to add QtQuick scenes to QDockWidgets (or KDDockWidgets?-).

--
God speed,
Frank