[Interest] Installation Sizes for Applications using Qt

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Aug 30 21:43:59 CEST 2021

On Monday, 30 August 2021 12:23:54 PDT Henry Skoglund wrote:
> Thanks Thiago for the clarification re. those "-skip xxx" options. I
> guess I can skip them :-)
> Ok, one benefit remains: saving some time when compiling/building the
> static Qt version.

Indeed. But you could save time by just downloading qtbase too. Then you save
time in the download, time in the build as well as disk space.

> Riddle me this though:
> for 5.15.2 I built 2 MSVC versions: one with built-in SSL 1.1.1K support
> and one without.
> When I build a hello world widget app, the .exe file without SSL lands
> at 10541 kB but the one *with* SSL 1.1.1K support is 10531 kB. Why is
> the .exe file with more functionality smaller??

I assume you're not using QSslSocket or any of the classes that would
indirectly use it (QNetworkAccessManager), otherwise that makes no sense. As
in, it doesn't make sense to support HTTP only, not HTTPS.

I can't account for the difference. If I needed to know this, I'd inspect the
linker map to find out what got linked in.

Which means "don't use MSVC's link.exe"