[Interest] Installation Sizes for Applications using Qt

Henry Skoglund henry at tungware.se
Mon Aug 30 22:03:11 CEST 2021

On 2021-08-30 21:43, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday, 30 August 2021 12:23:54 PDT Henry Skoglund wrote:
>> Thanks Thiago for the clarification re. those "-skip xxx" options. I
>> guess I can skip them :-)
>> Ok, one benefit remains: saving some time when compiling/building the
>> static Qt version.
> Indeed. But you could save time by just downloading qtbase too. Then you save
> time in the download, time in the build as well as disk space.
>
>> Riddle me this though:
>> for 5.15.2 I built 2 MSVC versions: one with built-in SSL 1.1.1K support
>> and one without.
>> When I build a hello world widget app, the .exe file without SSL lands
>> at 10541 kB but the one *with* SSL 1.1.1K support is 10531 kB. Why is
>> the .exe file with more functionality smaller??
> I assume you're not using QSslSocket or any of the classes that would
> indirectly use it (QNetworkAccessManager), otherwise that makes no sense. As
> in, it doesn't make sense to support HTTP only, not HTTPS.
>
> I can't account for the difference. If I needed to know this, I'd inspect the
> linker map to find out what got linked in.
>
> Which means "don't use MSVC's link.exe"

Re: downloads, you're right, but you forgot the noob factor, I use no
fancy git get, I download the humongous zip:
http://download.qt.io/official_releases/qt/5.15/5.15.2/single/qt-everywhere-src-5.15.2.zip

Re: QsslSocket usage: no it's not pulled in in either of the 2 versions.
(If I try them with the SecureSocketClient example, one runs ok and the
other fails to compile with "required feature ssl ... not available). I
was just curious how the static lib with SSL support yields sliighly
smaller .exe files.  But a linker map and some coffee is a good idea...