[Interest] Qt 5.15 pull out of open source?!

Jérôme Godbout godboutj at amotus.ca
Thu Jan 7 15:25:26 CET 2021

Hi,
That leave a sour taste since 6.0 is far to be ready for mainstream, don't get me wrong it is a great rework and show many potential. But I cannot even port a single project to it so far (none of the project I work on have all the necessary module, IoT application without oauth or bluetooth and the like is plain impossible), it leave 5.15.2 to be the only solution until 6.2 get out, no more fixes or anything. That start to look pretty bad on my end.  Last few project have been shift to Xamarin/Blazor with C# because of recent license fog and that open source lock down. I feel sad, but no project owner want to take the risk with Qt or his high price compare to competition.

I always loved Qt and even more with Qml. I end up doing less and less of it. It was a good ride with Qt, sadly, I'm not sure any more project as consultant will show up with Qt... I barely had 1 in the past year and a big rise on C# Xamarin and blazor are rising quickly, not that I like it, but that's the market aorund me in Montreal/Quebec start to look like lately. I also do work for a huge European cie that shifted to C# too. Only medical cie are sticking to it around me, since the cost of revalidation is too high. Might not be the case for everyone, but as a service cie that what we are seeing right now and that's sad.

Jerome
☹