[Interest] Compiling Qt5 (any version past 5.99) for Apple Silicon/M1

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Thu Jan 14 16:06:57 CET 2021

I asked on the CMake list as CMake 3.19.3 is universal binary and the GUI is based on Qt5. They replied back with this link:

https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/-/blob/v3.19.3/Utilities/Release/macos/qt-5.15.2-macosx10.13-x86_64-arm64.bash

NOTE: this is a fairly limited build which works for the CMake project. This is NOT a full Qt 5.15.2 build but should get you started. It worked to get our project built because our project has about the same dependencies as CMake Gui. I would like to get QtDesigner built as we need that for our own development. QtCreator is next on the list but might prove a bit more time consuming as most of Qt will need to be built for that.

One thing that I noticed when using VS Code’s built in terminal is that all of my projects would build as x86_64 instead of arm64 by default. This is most likely a side effect of VS Code running in Rosetta currently. Last note was that the 13” MacBook Pro compiled this limited version of Qt 5.15 faster than my 2019 top of the line 16” Mac Book Pro and still had 95% of the battery remaining…

--

Michael Jackson | Owner, President

      BlueQuartz Software

[e] mike.jackson at bluequartz.net