[Interest] make check not working (macOS)

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Wed Jun 23 18:03:14 CEST 2021

> Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2021 at 11:45 AM
> From: "Kai Köhne" <Kai.Koehne at qt.io>
> To: "Jason H" <jhihn at gmx.com>, "interestqt-project.org" <interest at qt-project.org>
> Subject: RE: [Interest] make check not working (macOS)
>
> HI Jason,
>
> It looks to me like you're trying to add a test case into your normal application executable. Is that correct?

Yes.

> The canonical use of QTest is different: You create a separate project for the tests, in a separate directory. If you e.g. check back on https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qttestlib-tutorial1-example.html , this creates a new file testqstring.cpp, and then uns "qmake -project" in the directory to create a completely new project.
>
> Hope this helps.

Yes it does. Thanks!

So I have to manually maintain the modules being tested as a separate project? If so, that's pretty undesirable because of the manual effort to make sure that the test project is using the same source that the actual application uses. I hope I can automate that somehow? (Preferably requiring 0 maintenance)  I would not be opposed to a "tests" subdir to hold this project, but then, that needs it's own .pro, and it needs to automatically reference the parent project's files. Immediately I am thinking I can just use HEADERS/SOURCES files with ../ prefixes but that violates my 0-maintenance requirement.

I want a brain-dead, simple, 0-maintenance test kit.  The only thing the developers should have to worry about is adding test implementations once it is started.

Can this be achieved in Qt?