[Interest] Mixing Commercial and Open Source license for different projects

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Tue Mar 16 18:19:36 CET 2021

Hi James,

You asked if it is allowed for a developer who has purchased commercial license of Qt for project A to work on project B using open-source license of Qt. Assuming that these projects are separate (independent and not related to each other in any way), this is possible. The reason for limitation of mixing open-source and commercial versions is indented to prevent some person(s) who do not have a commercial license to use open-source version of Qt for work benefitting the commercially licensed software. This is not the case in the situation you described as long as these projects really are separate (not just paid by different companies).

Yours,

                Tuukka