[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 114, Issue 15

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Wed Mar 17 12:44:05 CET 2021

On 3/17/21 6:00 AM, Konrad Rosenbaum wrote:
> Out of curiosity: what alternatives are people settling on?

The high end audio/video company and the company creating another
"Explore this computer" application for Intel both went with Electron.

The medical device spin-up companies I talk with have found for over a
year now that every customer/client refuses to even allow Qt to be
mentioned as a development option. I don't have a better category for
the company. There are a lot of them. Big names like B. Braun, Baxter,
etc. come to these service firms and say "we want a medical device to do
this" and they develop it. Sometimes they take it all the way to
production and other times they hand it off at FDA approval stage. I
guess one would call them R&D augmentation firms.

I did hear from one yesterday that is still using QML and AGILE. I heard
from them because there is somewhere between 30-40 people on the team
and the project is in the toilet. I turned them down. If you didn't
bother to create The Four Holy Documents up front you can't build a safe
and reliable medical device.

The rest are kind of a shotgun blast.

A token few have done some Electron. Some have went with CopperSpice.
Others have done what our Canadian friend in here have said going with
C# DOT-NOT stuff. There are a couple supposedly using Rust. Believe me,
I would like to know what is going to replace Qt in the medical device
world because I really like working in the medical device world.

What is important to note is that the big players who use these R&D
augmentation firms have all banned the firms from bringing up Qt. They
haven't yet mandated an alternative, at least not that I've heard.

Note: according to my video meeting with the R&D augmentation firm
yesterday, the QML project that was in the toilet has been going on for
over a year.

Someone on this list got their finger on the pulse of the Infotainment
system world? I've noticed that the Qt/QML Infotainment system contracts
spamming my inbox have all but disappeared.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com