[Interest] Mixing Commercial and Open Source license for, different, projects

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Wed Mar 17 15:30:41 CET 2021

> On 3/17/21 6:00 AM, Konrad Rosenbaum wrote:
>> Out of curiosity: what alternatives are people settling on?

Forgot to mention. Comcast dumped Qt in favor of Webkit some time late
last year. You probably were on the SPAM and phone call list. We all
know just how technical the people pimps put on the phone are, but here
is what they told me.

FUD + death-of-perpetual-license = abandon-Qt

Some division or company that Comcast owns a significant part of has a
commercial Webkit product that is far afield from the OpenSource. Been
selling it to companies for some time now. When all of this licensing
started over a year ago upper management made the decision to not just
abandon all Qt but to purge it. All of their VoT (Video Over Top) now
uses Webkit. They were looking basically to thieve people who had worked
at companies that had bought whatever this commercial product is.
Someone who had only worked with OpenSource Webkit wasn't strong enough
unless they had contributed __lots__ of code to Webkit itself.

They were going to get them. I was getting 5-6 phone calls per day for
several weeks on this. Everyone had the same story. Back then they were
up to $85/hr 100% remote. None of this "remote until" scam" far too many
companies are shopping around.

Keep in mind, that's what people who were trying to talk me into letting
them submit me were telling me. I didn't directly speak with the hiring
manager. I do know that Comcast sent the req out to a cattle call and it
seemed like everyone with a VOIP phone was trying to work the gig. They
all seemed to have the same story. I did not get the name of the
division/company nor did I get the name of the commercial WebKit
product. I cannot tell you if it was Firebolt

https://firebolt.app/docs/articles/wpe/

oh! Here.

https://press.opera.com/2013/12/13/opera-launches-the-industrys-first-commercial-grade-chromium-blink-engine-designed-for-rdk-set-top-boxes/

So, yeah, Comcast was part of Opera dumping Qt WebKit per that article.

There is someone over in Washington state area doing a bunch of ROKU
that had been shopping for Qt/QML people but is now dropping that
development branch for their VoT work. Don't remember who. When they
said QML I lost all interest and stopped actually listening. I'm
guessing they've moved to RDK as well.

=====

The RDK is supported by more than 200 licensees including CE and SoC
manufactures, software developers, system integrators, and MVPDs from
around the world. It is administered by the RDK Management LLC, a joint
venture between Comcast Cable, Time Warner Cable, and Liberty Global.
The RDK software is available at no cost to RDK licensees in a shared
source manner, and RDK community member companies are encouraged to
contribute software changes and enhancements to the RDK stack.

=====

Some rather deep pockets behind that. I suspect it will take over at
least some chunk of the automotive Infotainment market as well.

I haven't touched Electron in a very long time. I'm told it has
dramatically improved from those early feeble days.

I'm told quite a few other companies are following Tesla and just moving
their JavaScript sans the QML into a Chrome browser somewhat captive
world. Tesla started their code base pre-RDK so they are doing something
different.

Either sounds like a short put, but I haven't tried porting something
like that.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions