[Interest] The willy-nilly deletion of convenience, methods (was: Mixing Commercial and Open...)

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Mon Mar 22 10:38:09 CET 2021

On 3/22/21 4:07 AM, Bernhard Lindner wrote:
>> Licensing FUD + death-of-perpetual-license + death-of-OpenSource-LTS +
>> Qt-6-rolling-out-incomplete + deleted-convenience-methods =
>> customers-leaving
> I wonder if the loss of confidence in the current Qt owners can ever be compensated.
>
> Even if TQC took back their critical decisions, I can't imagine that people would ever
> trust them again. This could cause fatal damage to Qt in the long run if they don't sell
> it to someone more responsible.

Dude,

Comcast, TimeWarner, and all of those other set-top box vendors formed
an OpenSource project to create RDK so they could kick Qt to the curb.

They aren't coming back.

Opera moved to RDK.

Doubtful they would ever come back.

When John Deere can no longer get illegal aliens to work for illegal
alien wages with Qt (which it seems they are having desperate trouble
right now) that will be the end in both the Ag and automotive
industries. The major automakers tend to pay Qt developers even less
than John Deere. Ordinarily those postings, phone calls, and emails only
last about 3 days. It's been about 3 weeks now though it feels longer.
They are desperate enough they've even started coming up on their rate.
Still not a respectable rate (especially given the outlandish prices
Deere has on their equipment) but they haven't raised the rate in a
decade. It appears the usual culprits, Tata, InfoSys, Cognizant, Cap
Gemini, et-al, are out of people to sneak in.

That will be the official death knell. When Deere flushes its installed
base. There will be no coming back from that.

Ford has already proven they can successfully toss out infotainment
architecture. They threw Microsoft out after MS helped them create a
buggy horrible Sync and rewrote Sync with Qt. The people who did the
port probably still work at Ford so it would be old hat for them.

The sad reality is everybody with a set-top box or willing to pull down
Opera can see just how well RDK works. The greatest of the great
unknowns can cheaply be removed for the decision makers by pointing that
out.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions