[Interest] The willy-nilly deletion of convenience, methods (was: Mixing Commercial and Open...)

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Mon Mar 22 11:14:13 CET 2021

On 3/22/21 4:07 AM, Jason H wrote:
> Is there anything we can do to maybe block the release of new Qt versions, so that the BSD poison pill clause is triggered? Then we can start over from a BSD license, and maybe get other custodians of the code base?
>
> Qt is currently catering to automotive companies, and those sales allow them to neglect other markets. I hope they circle back and get there market segments they have been neglecting.
>
> My company abandoned commercial use of Qt as we were in a neglected market segment... Rewrote the app native on each platform. It was painful, but stuffiness routing the band-aid off quickly is the way to go.  I've been lurking hoping to hear good things about QT6 but it looks like The decision to go native was the right one.

Wow Jason! Didn't know your company was one of the seemingly endless
stream dumping Qt. For several years Qt cared only about the mobile
market at the expense of all other markets. That is why so many are so
far gone.

As far as stopping new releases, I would assume if _all_ the OpenSource
developers simply stop working on Qt that would do it.

Even if everything was switched over to someone else _today_ I don't
think it matters for Qt. If John Deere is having trouble getting the
usual suspects to provide extremely low wage Qt labor that means kids in
third world countries aren't bothering to learn Qt anymore. John Deere
has factories in lots of places around the world. They could easily move
the development to one of them. My friend from high school who was over
the creation of John Deere's first steering/navigation system used to
have to go to Germany a lot.

Judging from the duration and the volume of these postings/phone
calls/emails; they are pumping a dry well. They are even having trouble
thieving them from the big three auto makers despite Deere paying higher
pathetic billing rates. The difference hasn't gotten high enough for
people to drive from Detroit to Ankeny Iowa and learn to say ain't.

Debian lost the Qt maintainers so the YABUs will be frozen in time with
Qt. Eventually they will just have to rip it out. That will leave Qt
only in RPM and ARCH/Pacman trees. Possibly Msys as well?

For whatever reason, the shops I go to for embedded systems all use
Ubuntu for their Linux development host.

Guess that means we all have to focus on "What's next?" for each of our
market segments. The era of Qt has ended.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com