[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 114, Issue 23

Benjamen Meyer bm_witness at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 15:26:43 CET 2021

On 3/23/21 9:25 AM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> On 23/03/2021 01.21, Tuukka Turunen wrote:
>> Feedback on the Qt 6 API is valuable and we are very interested in it.
>> Portability was one of the key design principles and we have avoided
>> making changes when not needed. That said, there can surely
>> be some items that are unnecessarily changed.
>
> Why are the QHash changes needed? The main outcome of that seems to be
> encouraging people to use std::unordered_map instead and destroying
> trust in Qt's API.
>
> Why is QList removed? (I don't mean the *name* "QList", I mean the
> container with indirect storage and reference stability. It's useful,
> and unlike QHash, there is no STL equivalent available.)

I always switched between std::deque and QList. So there is something
available, but it's not a straight forward thing or logical by names.

Honestly, C++'s standards committee got wrong the design and naming of
std::list and std::deque since you cannot access random elements in
std::list (and you should in a list) but you can in std::deque (and you
shouldn't be able to in a deque). Yeah, I read their reasoning; but it
doesn't fit how people things of those two things.

Guess I'll have to dig in an port
https://github.com/BenjamenMeyer/qtmd5gui to Qt5/6 to see the damage done.

Honestly, I was hoping to be able to convert a number of utilities in
https://github.com/vegastrike/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source from Gtk to Qt;
but after reading this discussion any hope there is almost certainly
down the drain.

--
Ben Meyer
Software Engineer