[Interest] The willy-nilly deletion of convenience,, methods

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Wed Mar 24 12:24:34 CET 2021

On 3/24/21 6:00 AM, Bernhard Lindner wrote:
>> The Wolfe oven needed a stacked widget, not a state machine. Project craters like these
>> aren't helping the reputation of Qt.
> Can you explain that? I have seen software going down the drain because people didn't use
> state machines. I have seen software using state machines without urgend need. But I have
> never seen a software that failed*due to*  using state machines (at least not when fully
> understood).

It was the wrong tool for the job is why it failed. But, Digia had
recently added the state machine and was selling training in it,
therefore, that must have been the hammer to hit all nails with.

The developer tried to run the __ENTIRE__ display with a state machine.
This was a multi-oven high end thing with hundreds of configurations
that had very little to do with cooking yet impacted cooking.

There were modes for every religious holiday where only limited
work/activities are allowed. There were safety alarms that could be
configured to pop up say, when an oven had cooled down enough to touch
the inside. The various oven timers could be configured to display
over-top of whatever screen was up, including the configuration screens.

Anyone who even glanced at the wire frame would instantly realize this
was a stacked widget under/above/beside a reserve bar.

Yes, the tiny subset of the actual cooking process:

start timer fire

pre-heat

alarm for food insertion

auto-start timer and food temp monitor

alarm completion reduce to warming

open door oven off

monitor for safety until cool

That can definitely be a state machine and it also isn't running a
screen, just signalling out.

I haven't found any significant UI that can really be a state machine.
Yes, a simple menu ala COBOL green screen days, but touch screens
subject to human whim, nah. You always end up with

On Thursdays, when it rains and Fred is at the keyboard - do this

logic.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions