[Interest] the path forward - that 7 year thing - was, willy-nilly

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Fri Mar 26 22:33:26 CET 2021

On 3/26/21 1:39 PM, Jason H wrote:
> Thiago, apparently, even with a commercial license, we no longer have rights
> to use whatever versions were current when we had the license. Previously, we could use
> it in perpetuity. This is probably a deal breaker at my new organization. It is my
> understanding that after our software development is done, we have to maintain
> commercial licenses even when we are not_developing_  software in Qt. I think the previous
> perpetuity licensing was appropriate.

**Seriously**

They are trying to end a 5.x perpetuity license that was already bought
and paid for? Nah. Can't be. I know a customer that paid north of $600K
for such a license and the device isn't yet out the door. They happen to
have a lot of lawyers too. I can't believe they would take that lying down.

What I "thought" was said was you could no longer obtain such a license.
I don't agree with that, but that policy doesn't place QtC in legal
jepordy because the license change only impacts new product.

I'm not a lawyer, but if you bought a license, they (QtC) can't just
arbitrarily end said license. Companies will be suing for return of
license fees and for damages.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions