[Interest] the path forward - that 7 year thing - was willy-nilly

Hamish Moffatt hamish at risingsoftware.com
Sat Mar 27 03:23:19 CET 2021

On 27/3/21 11:47 am, Scott Bloom wrote:
> Sorry for top posting...
>
> But I disagree here.  Even for mac, Qt 5 is 9 years old, 4 lived 6 (4.0->4.8 LTS initial release, 4.8 lived for 3 years)
>
> Im not saying we go to a Qt Major version for every mac system style change.  But if they produce a SDK where previous version is so different than the new one, that the same Qt code needs a #ifdef XXX version, so be it.
>
> Yes, its more work.

It's a runtime issue on macOS too, not just development. Recent macOS
won't run anything compiled with an SDK earlier than the 10.9 version
(due to their notarization requirements), so you can't keep compiling
with an ancient toolchain. I don't know if you can use Qt 5.0 with the
10.9 SDK, but I doubt it because Apple is quite aggressive about API
deprecation.

I still haven't seen any convincing argument on why you expect to use a
brand new Qt with ancient compilers/OSs?

Hamish