[Interest] L Word

Jérôme Godbout godboutj at amotus.ca
Mon May 3 18:09:56 CEST 2021

I did work for 2 operating room equipment that was using Qt (and consulting for another 1). We did not had issue with Qt on this based, yes we had a fixed version and the complete testing phase must be roll over for a changed. So you keep as little changed as possible when doing maintenance fixes. Major version cost a lot into testing and then we allow library and framework to be upgrade during those extensive tests phase.

One was even using Qml for the GUI, the consulting one was moving from Widget to Qml and the widget only was at a time where Qml was not existing.  I do not see the problems, you do have to cover all ground and the tests are exhaustive, but that would be true to any gui framework used into that field.

So it’s totally doable, sure those application doesn’t always stay on the latest is greatest, they are more the stable one until we do another major rev or a problem is found. That kind of make it hard to have to stable requirement and have connected devices, this often conflict, so most of those equipment stay off the grid for that matter.

I now work into smart city  and IoT cie inside the service division for custom client products now. But when the power and lightning of a city is in play, we still have to deliver robust infrastructure.

The library can be faulty (they all are to a different degree), but it’s more about knowing about it and handling it properly without effect or consequences to anybody that matter, if this ain’t a risk to anybody it can be acceptable to have something failing as long as it’s detected and the consequence of it has no impact. So, it’s all about testing and proper error handling and make sure there is no unturned stones.

Jérôme Godbout, B. Ing.

Software / Firmware Team Lead
O: (418) 682-3636 ext.: 114
C: (581) 777-0050