[Interest] How I would like to see Qt, was Re: L Word

Rui Oliveira ruilvo at hotmail.com
Mon May 3 18:41:29 CEST 2021

If you allow me my two cents:

I'm not a good enough programmer to know how does one deal with the
promises of long term support for certain hardware while juggling with
new exciting hardware. And I do agree that likely 90% of the edge cases
will be commercial situations that should pay for their support. The
exact business model is a whole other can of worms and I'm not economist
or manager either.

What I would like to see, though, was a tech stack that isn't
"duplicated" and doesn't feel like it's competing with itself, that ends
up with both offerings leaving users choosing the least bad option.
That's also how I guess most people feel about GUI's in C++ and Qt as a
whole. I've heard the "Qt is the least bad X-platform C++ GUI SDK". Not
best, just least bad.

Also, look at some subtle stuff. I've had people agree with me that Qt
Quick docs are subpar compared with the rest of the framework,
especially on the QML side. Are we dealing with lower standards or just
lack of maturity?

I look at other ecosystems with envy. Now especially C#. Xamarin now
soon-to-be .NET MAUI, Avalonia UI, Uno Framework, Blazor WASM... I love
C++, and I don't want to change. I even like most of the C++ evolution
is having since the C++17, C++20, and now the expected C++23. But grass
does look greener on the other side...

As someone said in the original thread, I think mostly people are bitter
out of "sadness" and not out of hate. We want this to work.

Oh well,
Rui