[Interest] Qt 5.15 LTS vs Qt 6.2 LTS

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Sat Oct 2 14:30:27 CEST 2021

On 10/1/2021 5:00 AM, Ulf Hermann wrote:
>> 1) On rare occasions patient killing bugs like this one get fixed.
>>
>> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-12055
>> <https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-12055>
>>
>> This has very little to do with "security" unless one puts application
>> stability under the security heading.
> That's exactly the safety (not security) argument I was expecting. The
> patient killing bugs in the underlying OS and drivers etc will not be
> fixed anymore, though. So even if we had decided to support XP with Qt6,
> you still wouldn't have gained much.

There are no patient killing bugs in the underlying OS or the previously
used drivers. Those only exist in the new drivers, new OS patches and
new Qt code. All of the new code has to be written following 62304 SDLC

https://www.iso.org/standard/38421.html

The existing stripped down OS and physical processor has already been
through multiple 510K submissions not to mention IEC 60601-1 and IEC
62353 and a few other IEC testing an approval processes.

https://incompliancemag.com/article/medical-device-testing-requirements-for-510k-submissions/

https://www.intertek.com/medical/regulatory-requirements/iec-60601-1/

https://www.mddionline.com/testing/safety-testing-medical-devices-iec-62353-explained

The only patient killing bugs left are the ones in the library(ies) from
third parties and those we introduce ourselves. The 62304 SDLC and
rigorous QA process ensures that we will catch the ones /we/ introduce.

When a tool/library bug database has north of 5,000 open bugs though, it
becomes physically impossible to test a medical device for all of them,
especially those like 12055 which result from or part of the
single-thread-i-ness of Qt.

>> 2) Updated hardware support.
> I wouldn't trust a hacked together system with 3rdparty drivers and
> outdated software monkey-patched to work with my shiny 4k monitor to be
> free of patient killing bugs. Or, I would only trust it if all that
> stuff is carefully tested to be compatible with each other. Such testing
> and bug fixing is expensive. Here we're back at square 1.

Square 1, no. Note even close.

Exactly what do you think MS Windows and Linux and BSD are? Microsoft
doesn't write those drivers. They have a tiny set of generic drivers
many things can function with at a minimum level, just like the generic
video drivers in Linux which are also 3rdparty drivers.

Nvidia writes the video drivers and releases them to Microsoft, various
Linux distros, etc.

HP/Compaq, Lenovo/Chicony, Logitech, etc. all write custom drivers for
their own hardware and make them public as well. Microsoft didn't write
the keyboard driver to make all of those special music/email/Internet
buttons work at the top of this keyboard

https://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/gigaware-2600460-keyboard.jpeg

The company that makes the Gigaware brand did. Microsoft didn't write
the keyboard driver to make all of these keyboard buttons work.

https://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Logitech_Y-SV39_keyboard.jpg

Logitech (or someone they paid) did.

Compaq (or someone they paid) did it for this keyboard back when Compaq
existed.

https://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/cropped-IMG_2018-05-27_16-08-26-1.jpeg

When you plug in a "standard" 104-key keyboard and Windows loads the
generic Windows driver for it, the keyboard itself has not been tested
with that driver. Not really. When you bought that keyboard for $6 brand
new at a physical store you can be certain testing was an almost
non-existent part of its manufacture. The same goes for sub $15 video cards.

As for the video drivers Nvidia, AMD, etc. quietly release for Windows
XP they work as well, in many cases better than, the drivers they
publicly release for Windows 10 and other "current" platforms. The
developers tend to put more effort into drivers that don't have an
auto-push method of distribution.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions