[Interest] Qt 5.15 LTS vs Qt 6.2 LTS

Ulf Hermann ulf.hermann at qt.io
Sat Oct 2 17:11:35 CEST 2021

> There are no patient killing bugs in the underlying OS or the previously
> used drivers. Those only exist in the new drivers, new OS patches and
> new Qt code. All of the new code has to be written following 62304 SDLC

Although I doubt that Windows XP or the new graphics drivers are free of
patient killing bugs, I have to admit that you have a point here: If MS,
AMD, NVidia etc. went through the certification process with their
software, we can trust their software as much as we can trust anything
in such a system.

Now, what you probably want from Qt is a package that eliminates most of
those 5000+ bugs and that can itself be certified or at least accepted
in the approval process. The way to get there might be as follows:

1. Define a the feature set you need from Qt.
2. Turn off all unnecessary features using -no-feature-xyz on the
configure script (possibly defining more features in order to be able to
turn them off).
3. Wade through the bug database and sort out the bugs that remain valid
for such a stripped down Qt.
4. Deal with those bugs in whatever way the approval process mandates.
5. Port the resulting Qt to your target platform.

I might be wrong with those steps because I don't know the approval
process. Yet, I'm sure there is some pragmatic way to produce what you
want. You may want to share your ideas on what it actually takes.

While all of this is possible, it obviously is a lot of work. If you
want to do the work yourself, let's discuss the details here. If you
want to pay for such work to be done, you may want to get in contact
with the Qt Company. If you want to lament about such a specialized Qt
not materializing out of thin air, you got my sympathies, but you may
not get everybody's sympathies here. If you want to repeat that no one
you know is using Qt anymore, that won't be necessary. We've read it
often enough.

best regards,
Ulf