[Interest] Qt 5.15 LTS vs Qt 6.2 LTS

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Tue Oct 5 18:55:41 CEST 2021

Tuukka said:

 > Qt is well suited for this type of an approach, and we also have a
certified solution to the safety critical functionality:
https://www.qt.io/product/functional-safety-and-qt

Yeah, I've always found that link in particular to be at best, shady.
You start with this loud and proud headline.

    Qt Meets Certification Standards

It's not until one spins down and reads carefully that they learn it is
only this tiny little ancient subset called "Qt Safe Renderer." One
client definitely got screwed by this because when he read the headline
and the IEC 62304 thing he assumed Qt was being as honest as the SOM and
other processor vendors about their OS bundles being IEC 62304
certified. That was a massive financial loss he won't soon forget,
especially when he tried to suggest using it to a customer he had done
business with for years and they ripped millions of dollars in business
away from him at the mention of using Qt.

As for other customers who actually read all the way down and look at
the package, most say something like this customer.

====

As for safe renderer, it's distinct from the regular qt code base and is
actually certified to various standards. It is severely pared down - the
demos are largely the safety critical symbols on your car dash, like
turn signals or warning lights. It's not designed to run a full application.

====

 > would be better to discuss with our functional safety experts

You know, I wasn't going to respond to this. Even deleted the digest
that had it which is why this doesn't have standard Thunderbird quoting.
But I find the above so professionally offensive I had to respond. In my
world I work with a lot of certified licensed safety professionals.
Every company that employs them puts them in charge of the bug/issue
databases.

This bug was classified P3: Somewhat important

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-12055

According to the link it was opened July 8, 2010. It was marked Resolved
on July 27, 2021.

There is no bug database where safety professionals are involved where
any issue that causes a crash, stack dump, unhandled exception, access
violation, or any other form of race condition or abend are always
flagged P1: Critical. There is even a formal escalation process where by
the time a Critical bug hits 30 days open the entire company is working
on /that one bug/ from every possible angle until it is closed.

Just how many other patient killers are in the bug database ranked P3
and below?

https://www.bcsp.org/csp

https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CSSLP#

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_Software_Development_Professional