[Interest] Qt 6.2 vs. Qt 5.15 – The Feature Parity Comparison – QtPDF

Benjamin TERRIER b.terrier at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 15:14:58 CEST 2021

Hi

I just went through the latest news article:
https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-6.2-vs.-qt-5.15-the-feature-parity-comparison

And the linked feature comparison table:
https://www.qt.io/product/qt6/qt-5-15-vs-6-2-feature-comparison

And it states this about Qt PDF:

> Due to its limited adoption in Qt 5, we are still studying whether to port
> this add-on module to Qt 6. Please let us know whether and how you are
> using this module. Existing projects can pull the relevant code from the
> 5.15 branch into their project.

Qt PDF was added in Qt 5.14, so it has only been there since 2 minor
versions of Qt 5.
Since then we also had 2 minor versions of Qt 6 without this module.
Also the module was stripped from the open source online installer, and
open source users had to build it themselves or buy a $50 license on Qt
marketplace.

Given all of this I find weird to use Qt PDF adoption as an excuse for
dropping it. It basically never had a chance.

Regards
Benjamin