[Interest] Qt 6.2 vs. Qt 5.15 – The Feature Parity Comparison – QtPDF

Maurice Kalinowski Maurice.Kalinowski at qt.io
Fri Sep 3 12:10:37 CEST 2021

Hey,

[Maurice Kalinowski]
I would also like to bring in one other aspect and that is the dependency chain of getting Qt PDF to run.
Qt PDF uses pdfium, which is part of the Qt WebEngine build, which uses Chromium.

The team has been working extremely hard to get Qt WebEngine ready for FF in 6.2. Only with that successful migration, the next step could be to also create pdfium for Qt PDF. Hence, the earliest point in time to have Qt PDF is 6.3. That does not imply that it is going to be available in default Qt, just that it had not been possible earlier at all.

By checking the code you might recognize that some effort has been done already to have these steps enabled, but they are not fully supported as of yet. Hence, another option is also to use these without being pre-built and packaged in the official distribution.

BR,
Maurice