[Interest] Qt 6 is much more faster to compile from source

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Sep 7 20:43:14 CEST 2021

On Tuesday, 7 September 2021 10:57:38 PDT Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> If generated makefiles were non-recursive, it would be even faster.

Right. There are a couple of points during the build that the processor is
idle waiting for something to finish building before the next thing can start.
There's a critical path dependency chain going through the bootstrap library,
moc, then QtCore that affects both buildsystems. There's no workaround for
that.

qtbase/src's qmake file was hand-rolled to make sure that we did have the
minimum number of dependencies in the critical path. That extends to bundled,
third-party sources if you need them. All of that had to be manually-
maintained (see [1]). With CMake, we got that for free, since it resolves the
dependencies on its own.

[1] https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/log/src/src.pro?h=5.15