[Interest] Qt 5.15 LTS vs Qt 6.2 LTS

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Thu Sep 30 15:59:17 CEST 2021

On 9/30/21 5:00 AM, interest-request at qt-project.org wrote:
> On Wednesday, 29 September 2021 07:40:11 PDT Rui Oliveira wrote:
>> "Both*Windows 7 or 8.x*  version support will not be available for Qt 6"
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7-895a-2c9c-1466d9a53962
>
> "Support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020."
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/faq/windows#windows-8.1
> "Windows 8.1 reached the end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and
> will reach end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023."

This has never been a valid argument. Vendors don't get to choose when
something dies. The customers do.

As the very public conversations with our friend Scott have revealed,
even Intel is running **in production** systems Qt dropped. Ironic since
they are using it to make the very chips needed to run Qt at least in
whole or in part.

There are medical devices still running and being developed with OS/2.
Actually there are hundreds of thousands of cash station/ATM machines
around the world still running OS/2 and much of the software is using Qt3.

https://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/information-technology/os2-back-from-the-grave/

https://www.arcanoae.com/product-category/an-products/

As of July 31, 2019 One in three businesses still run Windows XP.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ajdellinger/2019/07/31/survey-finds-one-in-three-businesses-still-run-windows-xp/?sh=46b5d4c057fc

As of September 2020 there were more computers running Windows XP that
windows 8, ChromeOS, and Windows Vista --combined--

https://www.techradar.com/news/if-you-can-believe-it-millions-of-people-are-still-using-windows-xp

=====

As of last month, 1.26% of all laptops and desktop computers worldwide
were still running on the 19-year-old OS. That’s a greater proportion
than much younger operating systems Windows 8 (0.57%), ChromeOS (0.42%)
and Windows Vista (0.12%).

=====

The only thing one has to do to keep these systems "secure" is not
connect them to the Internet. Most of the manufacturing, medical device,
metal mill systems are on local loops or hiding behind extremely
hardened VPNs. One VPN I helped write changes/changed proxy servers
every 5 minutes using a book code so that no two packets of any
transmission had the same encryption. It did it all under the hood so
the video conference software and Web browser had no idea the
communication was bouncing around the globe and across a few satellites.

Norton sent an email out to customers claiming to drop Windows 7
support. Suffered a mass exodus of paying customers. Now it has
Maintenance Mode support all the way back to XP.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v126160909

It was that or go out of business.

--
Roland Hughes, President