[Interest] Qt 5.15 LTS vs Qt 6.2 LTS

Ulf Hermann ulf.hermann at qt.io
Thu Sep 30 16:18:07 CEST 2021

> As of last month, 1.26% of all laptops and desktop computers
> worldwide were still running on the 19-year-old OS. That’s a greater
> proportion than much younger operating systems Windows 8 (0.57%),
> ChromeOS (0.42%) and Windows Vista (0.12%).

> The only thing one has to do to keep these systems "secure" is not
> connect them to the Internet.

In that case, using e.g. Qt 4.8.7 (slightly younger than Windows XP) for
those systems should be fine, too. Why do they need the latest and
greatest Qt for something that old?

Yes, Qt 4.8.7 is not supported anymore, but if you don't care about
security, what do you need the support for? You're going to say
"safety". Yet, let me remind you that MS are not fixing safety critical
bugs in XP anymore, either. So that game is already lost anyway.

best regards,
Ulf