[Interest] Qt 5.15 LTS vs Qt 6.2 LTS

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Sep 30 18:58:34 CEST 2021

On Thursday, 30 September 2021 06:59:17 PDT Roland Hughes via Interest wrote:
> As the very public conversations with our friend Scott have revealed,
> even Intel is running **in production** systems Qt dropped. Ironic since
> they are using it to make the very chips needed to run Qt at least in
> whole or in part.

I am very familiar with the rules surrounding the security of systems in our
intranet. No version of Windows older than 19H2 is allowed anywhere in the
regular network. They're only allowed in special lab networks, which are
segregated from the global intranet and have limited ingress and egress.

Yes, older systems exist and many of them are in critical roles. All of them
are kept in such segregated networks, all of them have special attention paid
to, and none of them receive any more updates than strictly necessary (because
that's the *point*). A colleague once joked we have interns younger than the
Linux kernels running on some of those systems.

Anyway, point was and remains: 6.0 sounded like a good time to cut back on
supporting old things so we could add new things. If you're going through the
trouble of Qt's binary compatibility break and a bit of source-compatibility
break, then it was probably a big enough effort that you'd put off until you
could drop your older platforms too.